Tuesday, April 13, 2004

I arrived back in Modena last night after another fun train journey. I was waved off by everyone at Bordeaux St Jean, and thoroughly miss them already. The last few days have been very hectic, and I apologise for not updating, although I'm not exactly sure who I am apologising to. Probably just to myself.

Thursday was the day of the big concert. It was a real success, and we were all very proud of our performance. We had a good reception, and it has kick started our wish to get on with the project. The fact we didn't make it through to the next round was disappointing, but not the end of the world. Music isn't based on competitions fortunately, and the other band (playing french folk) were good. In a french folk sort of way. After the gig I went out with Dan Arnaud and Julie to pick up some free pints grace a la pool competition, and we then met up with Kenza, Nick, Nel and the others in a small club. It was a jolly evening given that I thought I was going to be more upset about the result.

Friday was even better as it was the day of Julien's party. In the afternoon I went to see my old boss in Nansouty, a small quarter of Bordeaux, and we had a coffee together. We caught up, and I got to see Marie and Jean-Baptiste, the two apprentices I worked with for a while. J-B had an amazing knack of being able to electrocute himself at least 4/5 times a day. It was lovely to see them again and to have a chat. I have been very lucky this year meeting outrageously kind people who I hope have had a good influence on me. In the evening we had dinner at Julien and Ben's place, followed by going to the Break pub where there was a strong flow of Cuba Libres all night. Arnaud was dancing on the stools after not very long, and Julien was super happy. This was followed by going to a club on the quais, which was 70% straight 30% gay. It was a good place, and I enjoyed myself loads more than I thought I would. Gin and tonic flowed, and we all had a very alcoholic time. I seem to remember some Russian people buying me vodka. On leaving, there was a big fight, and the riot police turned up threatening to shoot tear gas at us. So we left.

Saturday was another good day, the evening (Dan and I got up around 3 or so) spent at Julie's house eating fajitas with lots of people. It was another great evening. The holiday was coming to a close, and I had time to think about the people I've met over the last few months, and what a pain it will be to start studying again. The music has gone well, and I hope I've grown up a bit. There's a lot of room for improvement still in that area I think.

On Sunday Dan and I went to the market and has chicken and chips washed down with rose. We met up briefly with Maz which was very fortunate. In the afternoon I recorded the vocals for a proper demo which I hope we'll be using to move things forward. A metal guy called Matthieu sorted out the recording for us, and he seemed very clued up about it all. I hope it all goes well. In the evening I hopped on the train, with music crashing round my head, and made it back here yesterday with the same songs on a loop in the brain. Who needs a walkman.

A quick note of thanks to Ben and Julien for putting me up, Dan for the same, Arnaud and Manu for their company, Julie, Julie again, (D)Anne-Helene, Jamie and Clare for putting me up, and everyone in Bordeaux really. I had a couple fo weeks that I'll never forget, and I can't say thanks enough. Oh, and thanks for the video of the gig Julien, and I'll send the keys back soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home