Monday, May 10, 2004

I got back from Soan Cristobal yesterday morning after not so bad a bus journey. 11 hours sounds bad, but when you leave at 9 pm, you really can just sleep through it. With the aid of some good old-fashioned pills.

San Cristobal was lovely. It is an old colonial town, with low buildings, a criss cross network of streets with more indigenous mexicans than here in Huatulco. It is very cool being a mountain village, and enabled us to wear jeans, shoes shirts and jumpers for the first time since I've been here. It was pleasant not having to wear my hair in a ponytail and having my hair scraped back by a band.

We visited some excellent restaurants that were unbelievably cheap, drank caipirinhas and mojitos, danced in a salsa club to a very good band and listened to very talented drummers outside the cathedral, whilst standing back frmo the fire throwers and the crazy dreaded braless hippy woman.

On Friday we went to a paper shop where they make their own, well, paper, and print and make books etc. We decided to come back the next day to take a class in printing. So we were set homework of drawing a picture onto a4, then putting it on acetate, and then bringing it in in time for the lesson. Quite daunting really, but we knucled down to it, and Katie got the acetates done while I had my breakfast tacos. The results were much better than we had hoped for. Katie did a flowery heart with two birds inside that was quite awesome. She printed it with red and yellow. I'm sure you'll see the result one day. Mine was a guitar, with words from one of Beautiful Lunar Landscape's songs going round the outside. I like it.I made it into a few cards too.

When we got back yesterday, Katie threw a surprise on me, and rather than going to dinner at Robert's house, she took me to where we are now staying for three nights. It is a condominium on the hill, looking over the bay of Santa Cruz. The view is beyond description. The sunset. There is a pool (I don't think anyone else is in the complex at the moment) that looks over to the sunset in the evenings. We can see the boats and the beaches way down below. It really is a type of paradise.

Oh, and I think I have now enabled a comments feature on this site, so if you want, I think you can leave a message.

Ben x

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home